The Agro-Biodiversity Initiative (TABI)
Department of Planning, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and Swiss Agency forDevelopment Cooperation
Vacancy Announcement for Lao nationals
Position: Communication Manager
The Agro-Biodiversity Initiative (TABI) is a long-term initiative to contribute to poverty alleviation and improved livelihoods of upland communities through the sustainable management and use agrobiodiversity. The project is entering its 3rd phase (April 2017 – September 2020) and is looking for an innovative and creative communication expert to promote the importance of Agrobiodiversity in Lao PDR and project results.
The position will be responsible for crafting and implementing a strategic communication plan with clear ways to reach different target audiences. This position provides an excellent opportunity for someone with the enthusiasm, inspiration and ambition to promote healthy, clean agriculture based on uniquely Lao products. The position will be for three years.
Tasks and Responsibilities
· Work closely with the CTA to develop and implement a communication and knowledge management strategy and monitor its results
· Understand all aspects of TABI to a sufficient level to be able to coherently discuss, explain and report to persons not directly involved in TABI
· Develop messages and produce a range of targeted materials based on TABI work including training materials, policy briefs, product profiles, extension materials, films, presentations, etc.
· Develop system to monitor and evaluate the effectives of communications.
· Support the development of an Agro-Biodiversity Web portal and a social media strategy to promote it
· Maintain a partnership contact list
· Work with communities and district staff to document local agro-biodiversity practice
· Work with Mass Media and social media influencers to disseminate information on ABD and TABI
· Help organize and facilitate national level workshops, exchanges and policy dialogues
· Showcase ABD and TABI work at national and regional events related to agriculture and natural resource management.
Required skills and experience
The successful applicant will be a Lao national, and have the following profile:
- At least 7-15 years of experience in communications, extension, journalism, marketing or information management
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, journalism, communication or related field
- Proven ability to effectively use a range of communication approaches and technologies to deliver results, from more traditional approaches, such as radio and written material to using latest digital tools and social media, and reaching a wide range of different audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with different actors, particularly government agencies and NGOs.
- Ability to write and communicate in English language
- Excellent Lao speaking, writing and presentation skills
- Experience in facilitating and organizing events, meeting and workshops.
Duty Station: Based in Vientiane, but occasional with frequent visits to target provinces
Duration: Full time for three years